Carrot Zucchini Pumpkin Oatmeal
Vegetables for breakfast! Great way to start the day. Gluten free and no added sugar. This recipe is very adaptable- throw in any veggies you have in the fridge- sweet potato or butternut squash would also work well in place of the pumpkin. If you don’t have greek yogurt in your fridge, it tastes well without. No banana, no problem! Substitute milk for the water if you prefer…
Makes 4 servings
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup finely grated carrot
- 2/3 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1 over ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup water- more or less depending on the water content of the vegetables and your personal preference.Add everything to a small pot and cook over medium heat until creamy and heated through, about 7-8 minutes. Watch carefully and stir often to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Scoop into a bowl and enjoy as is or top with a drizzle of peanut or almond butter, maple syrup or honey, and a few crushed walnuts.
Recipe inspired by Running on Real Food
For more pumpkin recipes, or to learn how to roast your own pumpkin, click here.